Thursday, December 6, 2007

Activities









Stifling an urge to dance is bad for your health - it rusts your spirit and your hips.
~Adabella Radici

The 1st Source Bank Christmas Dinner Dance was Saturday, December 1st. It was a very nice evening, with a wonderful dinner. Joe enjoyed his bourbon steak and I my chicken. (Confession: I really enjoyed the mashed, garlic-red potatoes!) Emily even joined in the fun by working the coat check room! The entertainment was a musician/comedian who was extremely funny. Good friends, good food and much fun! Laughter was abundant!

I rarely dance anymore. I used to love to sway to and fro, bouncing in tune with the music, letting my body go with the rhythm...no matter the song. I probably made a fool of myself, but if I'm being honest here, it used to make me feel good about myself and my ability to "feel the beat" and I think, I was a good dancer, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. =)
Now a-days, I really don't get the chance to dance much, unless you consider tapping my foot when I wash dishes, dancing. When I do dance in public, I feel awkward, and as if people who are on the side lines watching are thinking, if not commenting...."what the heck is she doing?"
It's a bit sad. I soooo used to enjoy dancing. It also probably played in a part of my fitness! But while sitting at the table watching others dance, and listening to the music, some songs "just hit the chord in my soul" and I couldn't resist running to the dance floor! I began to dance as if no one were watching! Then, I sang and danced as if I were 17 years old again to songs that affected me as they did when I was in high school 20 years ago! My age may be fleeting, but the youth and the emotions I used to carry are still there! I still love Jon Bon Jovi, and each time I hear one of the band's hits, I get excited and I'm taken back to high school. When I hear "Living On A Prayer", I am a teenager all over again.... every. single. time.

I recall going to the Bon Jovi concert in Chicago while in high school, on a school night to boot! It was my senior year in high school. I went with my best friend, Lisa and it was so cool....and, again, I still have the same feelings rise in me!

Our bodies age, but mentally, do we really?! I don't think so. My sister is "ga-ga" over Def Leppard....she's a few years older than I, but I think if she didn't have family and job responsibilities, she'd be one of their groupies!! LOL (Am I right, Jer?!)

So we change, our life is different, but little things still thrill us...even if it's something as little (0r big) as Bon Jovi or Def Leppard! It's amazing, but go ahead and dance--Dance as if no one were watching! You only live once!

No comments: